Skip to Main

Bachelor of Social Work FAQ


What are the basic requirements for admission to the BSW Program?

It is recommended that if you are entering from high school you have a GPA of at least 3.0 and at least a 21 on the ACT and/or a 980 on the SAT (excluding the writing). UC admits you based on academic and non-academic factors. For more detailed information, please visit BSW Admissions Requirements and UC Undergraduate Admissions.

Does the BSW Program accept transfer students?

Certainly! Please visit BSW Admissions Requirements and Transfer, Transition, and Adult Services of Undergraduate Admissions for specific requirements for transfer students. 

When is the application deadline?

There are various deadlines depending on when ​you are applying for admission and whether you are new or a transfer student. UC Undergraduate Admissions has a list of all the necessary deadlines for undergraduate applicants as well as any applicable fees.


How many courses do students take each semester?

You will take approximately five courses each in the fall and spring semesters, depending on your specific educational needs. ​You should meet regularly with an academic advisor to ensure that you keep to the proper course sequence.

What certificates are available to undergraduate students?

Undergraduate students can choose from the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program and the Certificate in Service Learning in Spanish for Social Workers and Health Care Service.

How does the SSW provide academic advising?

Undergraduate social work students utilize the College of Allied Health Sciences Academic Advising office.

Campus/Community Life 

What housing options exist for undergraduate students?

There are numerous on- and off-campus housing options for students. UC Housing is available to answer questions about student housing requirements and options.

What types of student organizations exist on campus?

There are more than 400 student organizations at UC. Within the SSW, you can engage in organizations such as Bearcat Social Work Students and the UC Chapter of the Association of Black Social Workers. Review the full list of SSW student organizations or search for others through UC CampusLink.

Can I talk to a current student?

Absolutely. Please call the School of Social Work at 513-556-4615 or email at to be connected to a current student.

Career Opportunities & Licensing

What types of jobs are available for graduates of the BSW Program?

Our alums work in a variety of settings: hospital social work, school social work, community mental health, case management, working with individuals with intellectual disabilities, private practice, higher education, child welfare, public policy and elected office, and more.

Does the SSW assist with licensure preparation?

Yes. Each February the SSW hosts Dr. Sophia Dziegielewski who has developed a licensure preparation course and has helped more than 17,000 students successfully pass licensing exams. 

A Social Work student during class

Contact Us

School of Social Work
1515 French Hall
PO Box 210108
Cincinnati OH 45221-0108
Phone: 513-556-4615
Fax: 513-556-2077

Visit UsApply

Back to top