Skip to Main

Master of Social Work

How to Apply

Application ​Deadline

Our application ​opens in September for admittance the following year. The deadline to apply ​is January 14. This deadline is for both the application as well as supporting materials. Please be sure to follow up with your recommenders as an application will be considered incomplete if the three letters of reference are not received by the date.

​Fast Track Admission

Don't want to wait to know if you are accepted?  Take advantage of the Fast Track opportunity. Fast Track is for those of you who want to receive your acceptance letters as quickly as possible!

If you have your MSW application completed by November 30 (this includes all supporting documents including all three references) you will receive your notice of selection no later than December 31.

Application Details 

To apply for the MSW Program, prospective students will need to complete an online application through the UC Graduate School. Advanced Standing students must apply for Summer as the program begins during the second half of the Summer Semester, while Full-Time and Part-Time students should apply for Fall.

Components of the application include:

  • A résumé
  • A personal statement
  • Three letters of reference, preferably one academic, one work, and one personal reference. (If applying to Advanced Standing and currently in school, one of your references MUST be your field instructor.)
  • ​Copies of unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended 
  • A $65 application fee.

​Please note that the School of Social Work does not require the GRE.

If you are accepted, there ​will be a deposit fee of $100 which will be credited to your student account after completing one semester.

Students who have received a degree from China and are applying for admission during the Fall 2016 or later should view the Chinese Transcript Verification Process for directions on submitting transcripts. 

 Financial Aid

There are several types of financial aid for which graduate students in social work can apply. In order to receive any financial aid, students must complete the FAFSA by April 15th prior to beginning the program.  For general information about financial aid at UC, please visit the Student Financial Aid web page.


The School of Social Work offers numerous scholarships and special programs to graduate students each year. 

The UC Graduate School also offers the following scholarships: the McNair Scholars Program and Yates Scholars Program.

School of Social Work Graduate Assistantships

The SSW offers 10 and 20-hour assistantships that come with partial or complete tuition remission, as well as a stipend during the academic year. Assistantships are available only to Advanced Standing and Full-Time students, and 20-hour assistantships are typically reserved for students in their advanced year. Most graduate assistant positions are research-based, with students supporting a faculty member’s research. The SSW will notify the student body when assistantships are available.

Student Loans

UC Student Financial Aid has more information about student loans.

Foundation Awards and Other Scholarships

Students may choose to independently apply for and obtain grants and scholarships from outside sources. Students can find potential scholarship funds in the Scholarship Database provided by UC Student Financial Aid.

Social Work Professor Shauna Acquivita in the classroom

Visit Us

For more information, please be sure to attend one of our MSW Information Sessions!

Contact Us

School of Social Work
1515 French Hall
PO Box 210108
Cincinnati OH 45221-0108
Phone: 513-556-4615
Fax: 513-556-2077

Back to top