School of Social Work
Welcome from the Director
On behalf of the faculty and staff, I want to welcome you to the University of Cincinnati School of Social Work (SSW), now in its 35th year as a professional school delivering the undergraduate and graduate degrees. Your acceptance to the School identifies you as a member of a widespread community that has a long-standing commitment to health, social justice, and the empowerment of individuals and families, through our excellence in education, research, and practice.
As students in the School, you have the advantage of an
interdisciplinary education which you can apply to your hands-on
experience during field placements within over 200 agencies in the
Greater Cincinnati area. Students in the BSW and MSW programs also have
opportunities to become involved in numerous extracurricular activities,
including Bearcat Social Workers (undergraduate), the Association of
Black Social Workers, the Social Work Graduate Student Association, NAMI
on Campus, and more.
I hope to meet each of you as the year progresses and wish you good luck throughout your time at UC.
James J. Clark, PhD, LCSW
Professor and Director
About the School
The School of Social Work is home to programs that prepare graduates for practice and leadership in the fields of social services and health care.
The School houses both the graduate (MSW) and undergraduate (BSW) social work programs, as well as the graduate program in Health Administration (MHA). In all programs, faculty with extensive practice experience in their respective fields offer competency-based education that provides students with an excellent foundation for successful careers in a wide variety of organizations that meet the physical, psychological, and social needs of people and communities.
The Social Work programs are built around the values and core competencies of the profession as defined by the Council on Social Work Education. The Social Work faculty brings a strong practice background to the classroom, engaging students in learning activities that develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed for professional practice.
The School collaborates with over 200 local agencies in offering a wide variety of internship opportunities. BSW graduates are prepared for entry-level professional practice as well as graduate study in social work. MSW students choose either the Direct Practice concentration or the Social Welfare Administration and Macro Practice concentration and are prepared for advanced practice and leadership across the social service field. Both programs are fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
The graduate program in Health Administration provides the credentials, knowledge, and skills to effectively lead and manage health care organizations, agencies, and practices. All courses are offered online, allowing students to continue their current careers while preparing for their futures.
We invite you to explore our programs and to contact us for further information.
- Read the Fall 2013 School of Social Work Newsletter!
- Applications are now being accepted for the 2014-2015 MSW Program.
- Interested in the Master of Social Work Program? Join us for one of the upcoming MSW Open House Information Sessions on 11/22/13 or 12/4/13. RSVP Today!
- The SSW is proud to have worked with the Department of Romance Languages and Literature to now offer a Certificate in Service Learning in Spanish for Social Workers and Health Care Services. Read more about the new certificate in a news report from WCPO News in Cincinnati.
- Dr. Sophia Dziegielewski will join the SSW February 1 and 2, 2014 to conduct her License Preparation Review Course for the generalist and advanced/clinical exams. Please review this document with registration information and a note from Dr. Dziegielewski on Preparation Course Information and What Exam to Take, as this will answer most questions you may have, including determining if you need to take the one-day or two-day course. Directions for entry into the building are also included.