This curriculum information for the CPD is intended as a general information guide for students considering enrollment in this program. These online tools are designed to assist you, but are not a substitute for planning with an academic or faculty advisor.
If you are currently confirmed or enrolled, you can check your degree requirements online. If you are considering transferring to this major from another school use the Course Applicability System (CAS) to see how credits you have earned will apply to this major at UC.
In the first year of the University of Cincinnati (UC) CPD (traditionally the junior year for most undergraduates) students complete their academic coursework at the UC main campus, which typically involves a credit load of 18 semester credit hours for a total of 36 credits. In Year 2 they complete their supervised practice, which is a minimum of 1200 hours. Regardless of whether the CPD intern has been accepted for local or distance supervised practice, all interns complete 4 semester credits of orientation and supervised practice in Cincinnati during May and early June. Once that is completed, interns move on to their remaining supervised practice rotation sites, in the areas of clinical nutrition, food service management, community/public health, and specialty areas of choice. The CPD also offers the interns the opportunity to work in one of our two declared areas of concentration – pediatrics or long term care. In addition to the supervised practice work, projects are assigned that the CPD intern is expected to complete outside of the supervised practice hours. Interns are expected to complete their remaining supervised practice hours between the end of the summer session and the week before commencement, which is the last Saturday in April.
Below is an overview of the CPD calendar for years one and two. Rather than integrate didactic education with supervised practice as many Coordinated Programs do in years 1 and 2, UC’s CPD requires the student to complete didactic work first, and then complete supervised practice at the end of the junior year and throughout the senior year. In that sense the University of Cincinnati’s CPD operates similarly to a DPD plus dietetic internship.
In Year 2, supervised practice rotation length is indicated as a minimum number of days, rather than weeks, because some of our rotation sites prefer to have the interns on a five-day per week schedule, while others prefer to schedule their interns four days per week. Rotation days are calculated as 8 working hours per day. Therefore, if a rotation site schedules an intern for four 10.5-hour workdays, then that is considered equivalent to 5 (8 hour) days. Supervised practice in the UC CPD is scheduled for a minimum of 1224 hours (176 hours during Year 1 plus 1048 hours in Year 2).
CPD Year 1 = Junior Year
- CPD students complete didactic coursework by spring semester, including NUTR 5019Supervised Practice Preparation,a 2 credit hour pass/fail course
- CPD interns begin supervised practice in summer semester at UC and the Greater Cincinnati area (22 days/176 hours) plus orientation which does not count toward supervised practice hours
- Two 4-week Meals-on-Wheels menu cycles with therapeutic diet extensions (Food Service Management - 15 days)
- Produce for Better Health (PBH) Store Tour Training with Kroger Supermarket and PBH Professional Ambassador Training (Food Service Management - 3 days)
- Business Plan Development (Management - 2 days)
- Sanitation inspection simulation utilizing the Ohio Food Code (Food Service - 1 day)
- Minimum Data Set 3.0 (MDS 3.0) applications (Clinical - 1 day)
- Code of Ethics, Scope of Practice (SOP), Standards of Professional Performance (SOPP)
CPD Year 2 = Senior Year
- CPD interns complete supervised practice in the period between mid-June and the third week of April, based on the periods of time in which preceptors can accommodate interns (131 days or 1048 hours)
- Acute Care Hospital – minimum 48 days
- Concentration Rotation (Long Term care or Pediatrics) – minimum 28 days
- School Food Service Management Rotation – minimum 25 days
- Community Rotation(s) – minimum 15 days
- Specialty Rotations (Intern Choice) – minimum 15 days
SPD Coursework Includes:
- NUTR 5019 - Supervised Practice Preparation - spring semester - 2 credit hours (course meets 1 day per week for 2 hours)
- NUTR 5020 – Supervised Practice Experience I – summer semester – 4 credit hours
- NUTR 5021 – Supervised Practice Experience II – fall semester – 15 credit hours
- NUTR 5022 – Supervised Practice Experience III – spring semester – 14 credit hours